Monday 7 May 2012

Photography, Wimbledon and the Avengers Assemble film

Being visually impaired taking photos

I wrote a post a while back on the ups and downs of being a visually impaired gardener. This time it's photography. I love taking photos and digital cameras with their auto focus, large display screens have meant I can take much better photos. But I really wanted to try different things with my photos that I'd really need an slr for, except an slr is difficult for me to use as you need to manually focus generally to get the best results. The introduction digital cameras with different lenses seemed like the perfect compromise for me!

Jase bought me a Nikon 1 (v1) camera for my birthday and I'm having great fun learning how to use it. Ive been trying to find opportunities to use my camera and the kind of things I like to photograph are scenery, interesting places, flowers and plants and wildlife. The wildlife side of things is proving problematic. I went for a walk along the river twice last week wanting to take photos of river birds. The trouble is I can hear them but often can't see them! I have to use all my senses and knowledge to try and seek out the birds to photograph. I'm sure I missed loads of ducks and coots when I walked down the river on Saturday. I could hear them calling and snuffling by the far bank but couldn't spot a single one but someone with normal sight would have seen them easily.

But just as I was leaving feeling frustrated and vowing I'd have to bring Jase with me next time to spot the birds I turned the corner to see two swans on the grass in front of me no more than 4 or 5 feet away! I'm good at being quiet and calm and spent five minutes photographing the swans. I also always thank the animals that have let me photograph them, it just feels right.

Below is one of the swans I photographed.

Wimbledon and the Avengers Assemble film

Today we went back to Wimbledon, 2 years after leaving. We went to the pictures to see the Avengers Assemble film which was awesome. We also had a look around Wimbledon town centre and walked back to our old flat. Not much in Wimbledon has changed. There are a few more shops including 2 Waitrose' not sure why they need 2, and there's a Halfords!

It was lovely to see Wimbledon again but I'm very glad we've moved to Bedfordshire. The peace and greenery of Biggleswade was so lovely to return to.

No comments: